History of Lashmet
Lashmet was a small community established in
the late 1880's and was on the land owned by Mr.
and Mrs. John E. Lashmet in White Township. It
was in the Northeast Quarter of Section 14, presently
owned by Norris Wooldridge. This was approximately
six and one-half miles northeast of Kingman.
The Hutchinson and Southern Railroad made its
maiden trip on September 5, 1889. For the privilege
of building on Mr. Lashmet's land the railroad was
to build a switch siding and maintain it during
Lashmet's lifetime. Stockyards were also maintained
and grain and produce also were shipped for
many years. Clarence Belcher tore down the elevator in 1934 or 1935.
Soon after the railroad came through, a Post
Office, housed in a small store, was established
March 10, 1890. It was closed October 15, 1897.
Frank Cross and Jim Sutherland were two of the
There was a blacksmith shop, which was later
moved to the present Dee Smith farm by George
Brickey, who operated it from his farm. The schoolhouse
was just north of the railroad tracks on the
Varner road. It was District #100 and was the
second to the last country school established in the
county before consolidation took place. The school
opened in 1919 and was closed in 1934. W.F.
Winfrey purchased the schoolhouse, but later he
sold it, and it was moved near Cunningham. At one
time the Baptist congregation held their services in
Submitted by Vita Henning
Kingman County, Kansas, And Its People.
(Kingman: Kingman County Historical Society. 1984)
Used by permission
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2001
John & Susan Howell