History of Cleveland
Read the news from Cleveland for August 5, 1909
Cleveland was named for Cleveland, Ohio, which
had been named for Moses Cleveland. In October
1879, the town company laid out the town on the
Kingman-Medicine Stage Line. By the end of the
year four or five houses were erected and a well was
dug fifty feet deep. January 2, 1880 a post office was
organized; Jonathan R. Snively was the first postmaster.
In February a new windmill was put up to
draw water from the town well; in June a Sunday
School was organized.
In 1881, the town aspired to be county seat and a
great railroad center. Its chief recommendation was
its location in the center of the county. A newspaper,
the Cleveland Star, was established by P.J. Conklin
to help the cause along. A petition was sent to the
county commissioners to relocate the county seat.
An election was held on November 7; Kingman
secured a majority. February 1, 1882, the newspaper
moved to Kingman; its name was changed to
Republican. Cleveland's population in the eighties
The first railroad, H O G (Hutchinson, Oklahoma
& Gulf), came in 1890. The railroad named the
station Carvel, because there was a Cleveland,
Oklahoma on the line. In February 1892, the first
elevator was built by Al Winslow and Jack L.
Liggett with material from the Howell & Stout mill
The town was at its peak in the early 1900's. The
Methodists, organized in 1892, built a church in
1905. There were two elevators, two lumber yards,
two general merchandise stores, a hotel, a physician,
a post office, a blacksmith, a telephone exchange
and a fire department.
The school closed in May 1958. It had been
organized August 14, 1879, two months before the
town was organized. The post office closed October
l, 1957. The church disbanded in December 1967;
the building was sold and torn down. The school
house is now used as a township hall. The only
surviving business is the Bunge Elevator. There are
eight homes and twenty four inhabitants.
Kingman County, Kansas, And Its People.
(Kingman: Kingman County Historical Society. 1984)
Used by permission
Explore Cleveland &
Visit the Home Page for Kansas
A service of the Kansas State Library
© Copyright 2001
John & Susan Howell