Brown Spur was another early day village that
served as a trading center for the farm families
through the years. It's located nine miles northwest
of Kingman. Many of the earlier settlers of the
1880's and 1890's in that area came from Indiana.
It was built up by the Missouri Pacific Railroad line.
At one time there was considerable business in
livestock and grain at this point. There were three
elevators owned by the Farmers Company of Elevators.
The early grocery and mercantile stores were
operated by Dave Stratton, Art McCollom and Roy
Beeson. There was a Post Office with Warren Nash
as the first Postmaster. There also was a lumberyard,
blacksmith shop, cream station, a few houses,
the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United
Brethren Church nearby.
Some of the names of the area families and
patrons throughout the years were: Frisbie, Litchfield,
VanKirk, Wyer, Stead, Travis, Cheatum,
Shepherd, Gibbons, Dorner, Elwood, Hobson,
Lecklider, Simmons, Bruch, Cooprider, Hodges,
McPheeters, Sutton, Wilker, Spain, Baker, Cubbit,
Wooldridge, Boggs, Kistler, Hampel, Wiekel,
McClure, Meisenheimer, Eberhart, Birney, Williamson,
Dutton, Winfrey, Layman, Lindt, McIlrath, Potter,
Madison, Fulton, McCullough, Connery,
McCartney, Boldt, Ramey, Hughes, Lane,
Elder, Kimble, Taylor, Cates, Keller, Mueller,
McMichael, Mohr, Prather, Kinsler, Nichols,
McCutchen, Tennal, Moore, Lewis, Snell, Wohlford,
McAtee, Belts, Corner, Rudicel, Day, Hinshaw,
Anderson, Baker, Pritner, Tucker, Nunnemaker, Antrim,
Dunsworth, Graber and Krehbiel.
Several descendants of these families have
through the years continued to live in this same
community or elsewhere in the county, whereas
some have disappeared and long been forgotten.
Unfortunately with the change of times, Brown
Spur has become a wide spot in the road, (Highway
#14), and for a number of years the only existing
business has been a large elevator, located beside the
railroad track, which in 1984 handles the area grain