Photo by Fern Milligan. 9/97
County Seat: Gove
· 3,068 (2000)
· 3,231 (1990)
· 2,441 (1900)
Area: 1072 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: GO
Gove County is in the high plains, but the Smoky Hill River
has cut a deep valley across it from west to east. This
valley has been a natural route west for centuries, and
it's lined with geologic splendors like Castle Rock (left) and
Monument Rocks (right.)
- Grainfield's magnificent Opera House is being restored.
- The county is famous for the reptile fossils found
in its chalk beds.
- Visit the County Seat Cafe in Gove for Sunday breakfast.
- The church at Park is a landmark can be seen for many miles.
- You can get great beef jerky in downtown Grinnell.
Organized September 2, 1886.
County seat Gove.
In honor of Captain Grenville L. Gove,
Eleventh Kansas Cavalry, who died in 1864.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of Gove County towns:
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Gove County online including a rich bibliography and lists of
cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Prohibition era sign on the store/dance hall at Orion:
Near beer sold here.
Remembered by Maxine Litson, Gove
Real beer sold near here.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Gove County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
2634 105 Gove 67736
1879 2813 327 Grainfield 67737
2910 329 Grinnell 67738
2750 151 Park 67751
1885 2677 961 Quinter 67752
Census Bureau Profile & Map
- Gove County Historical Museum (785) 938-2372 / Gove, KS
Tours available on Sundays during summer from 2-5 p.m.
- Gove County Advocate (785) 754-3651
304 Main St, Quinter, KS 67752
More Data About Gove County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
For more about Gove County contact:
- Quinter Chamber of Commerce (785) 754-3750
P. O. Box 35, Quinter, KS 67752
Last updated on
September 6, 2013
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.