Dickinson County Courthouse
County Seat: Abilene
· 19,344 (2000)
· 18,958 (1990)
· 21,816 (1900)
Area: 852 Square Miles
Standard Abbreviation: DK
Organized in 1857.
County seat Abilene.
In honor of Daniel S. Dickinson. who was a
Senator from the State of New York. In 1847
he introduced, in the United States Senate,
resolutions respecting territorial government,
embodying the doctrine of popular sovereignty,
afterwards incorporated in the Bill for the
organization of Kansas Territory.
He died in 1866.
Map and text from History of Kansas,
Noble Prentis, (Winfield: E.P. Greer. 1899)
William G. Cutler's History of Kansas
, first published in 1883, tells about early Dickinson County
There is a section on Dickinson County in the book
Kansas: a Cyclopedia Of State History
by Frank Blackmar (1912).
The Special Collections of the Ablah Library at WSU contain historical images of
The Kansas State Historical Society also has
for Dickinson County online including a rich bibliography and lists of
cemeteries, post offices, and newspapers.
Cities, Towns, & Villages of Dickinson County
Year Elev Population Name ZIP
==== ==== ========== ================ =====
1153 6,543 Abilene 67410
1310 38 Carlton 67429
1113 1,241 Chapman 67431
1866 1350 Elmo
1137 836 Enterprise 67441
1350 2,563 Herington 67449
1872 1220 Holland
1400 372 Hope 67451
1295 102 Manchester 67463
1350 Navarre 67469
1160 Sand Spring
1296 Shady Brook
1180 1,072 Solomon 67480
1212 Talmage 67482
1250 207 Woodbine 67492
Census Bureau Profile & Map
Special Places in Dickinson County
- The American Indian Art Center in Abilene has Native American produced art created by 90 artists from 30 tribes of this area; pottery, paintings, carvings, jewelry, weavings, books, music.
- 206 S. Buckeye, Abilene, KS 67410 785-263-0090
Open daily 10am-5pm, extended summer hours. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day.
- See artists, Bob and Inga Bow at their Bow Studio & Gallery in Abilene making ceramic tiles, scupltures and fountains from native Kansas clay and wild flowers. Gift shop on the grounds.
- 921 S. Buckeye, Abilene, KS 67410 (785) 263-7166
Open daily 10am to 7pm.
Special Things to do in Dickinson County
- In an hour and a half you can ride the Abilene & Smoky Valley railroad to
Enterprise and back on the rails of the original Rock Island Railroad.
- Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad
417 S. Buckeye, Abilene, KS 67410
Open weekends May, Sept. & Oct.: Sat. 10am & 2pm, Sun. 2 & 4pm
Memorial Day - Labor Day: Tues. - Fri. 10am & 2pm, Sat. 10am & 2 & 4pm.,
Sun. 2 & 4pm
- You can take a ride on the C.
W. Parker Carry-Us-All (785-263-2681 firstname.lastname@example.org)
at 412 S. Campbell in Abilene. This is a complete hardcarved working
carousel manufactured in Abilene at the turn of the century by the C. W.
Parker Amusement Co.
- The Great Plains Theatre Festival holds performances June through December. Located in the restored United Presbyterian Church, the GPTF is Kansas' first professional live theater and is located at 300 N. Mulberry.
- The Kirby House (785-263-7336) serves lunch and dinner daily in their 8 dining rooms in the restored Thomas Kirby mansion. It's located at 205 N.E. 3rd at Kirby Ave.
- The new Brookville Hotel is now located in Abilene.
Dickinson County Libraries
- Abilene Public Library 785/263-3082
209 NW Fourth St., Abilene, KS 67410-2690
- Chapman Public Library 785/922-6548
402 N. Marshall, Box F/ Chapman, KS 67431-2644
- Enterprise Public Library 785/263-8351
202 S. Factory, P O Box 307 / Enterprise, KS 67441-0307
- Herington Public Library 785/258-2011
102 S. Broadway / Herington, KS 67449-2634
- Hope Community Library 785/366-7219
216 N. Main St. / Hope, KS 67451
- Solomon Public Library 785/655-3521
108 N. Walnut / Solomon, KS 67480-0242
- Talmage Public Library 785/388-2089
2978 Main St., P O Box 867/ Talmage, KS 67482-0867
Dickinson County Museums
- Abilene Public Library Doll Collection 785-263-3082 email@example.com
209 N. W. 4th Street, Abilene, Kansas 67410
No admission fee - WPA American fashion; Mamie Eisenhower & Davis Sisters collections
- Dickinson County Historical Museum 785-263-2681
412 S. Campbell, Abilene, Kansas 67410
8:30am-4:30pm, extended summer hours; Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day.
Admission - life on the plains during the American pioneer movement
- Eisenhower Library & Museum 785-263-4751
200 S.E. 4th Street / Abilene, KS 67410
Library: 9am-4:45pm Daily;
Museum & Visitors Center: 8am-5:45pm;
- Greyhound Hall of Fame 785-263-3000 1-800-932-7881 firstname.lastname@example.org
407 S. Buckeye, Abiliene, KS 67410
9am-5pm, 7 days week; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day
Donation - Greyhound history, dating back to 5,000 B. C.; miniature racetrack ..
- Kansas Auto Racing Museum 785-922-6644
1205 Manor Rd., Chapman, KS 67431
- Lebold Mansion 785-263-4356
106 N. Vine Street, Abilene, KS 67410
Admission - built in 1880 by C. H. Lebold, banker, politician, land agent,
entrepreneur. Listed on the national register of historic places.
of Independent Telephony 785-263-2681 email@example.com
412 S. Campbell, Abilene, KS 67410
8:30am-4:30pm; extended summer hours; closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day.
Admission - early independent telephone system history & displays
- Old Abilene Town & Museum 785-263-4194
S. E. 6th at Buckeye, Abilene, KS 67410
Open early spring to late fall during daylight hours
Donation - Re-creates cowtown Abilene; Can-can girls, gunfights, stage coach rides, Memorial-Labor Days
- Seelye Mansion & Museum 785-263-1084
1104 N. Buckeye, Abilene, KS 67410
A beautiful Georgian home built in the early 1900's
- Tri-County Historical Museum
800 South Broadway, Herington, KS 67449
- Vintage Fashion Museum 785-263-7997 firstname.lastname@example.org
212 N. Broadway, Abilene, KS 67410
Open Mon.-Sat. 10am- 4pm; Sunday 1-4pm; Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day
Admission - fashions from 1870's to 1970's; special exhibits & programs
Dickinson County School Systems
Dickinson County Newspapers
- Abilene Reflector-Chronicle (785) 263-1000
303 Broadway, Abilene, KS 67410
- Chapman Advertiser & Enterprise Journal (785) 922-6856
1118 W Cloud St., Salina, KS
- Herington Times (785) 258-2211
7 N. Broadway / Herington, KS 67449
More Data About Dickinson County
- Kansas County Profile Reports
Statistical data from The Institute for Policy and Social Research, the University of Kansas
Dickinson County Offices
For more about Dickinson County contact:
Last updated on
May 18, 2012
A service of the Kansas State Library
Graphics by John Howell,
photos by Susan Howell,
used by permission.